Runin DC

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Train to Vienna, then Onward to Prague




Kerepesi Train Station in Budapest -- only a 2o min walk from the hostel

I rushed to the train station from the Corvin Point Hostel to the Train station on time with a few minutes to spare. But the conductor would not let me board the train.  Unfortunately I had not validated my Eurorail ticket and I would have to wait two hours for the next train.

No problem -- n0thing like missing my train completely in Istanbul.  After getting my ticket validated, I walked next door to the McDonalds where I could use their WiFi for free.  Eating at McDonalds in Europe is a lot more upscale and fashionable than eating at Mickie D's in the states.

Lucky for me, the 1720 train leaving Budapest was a lot more modern with posh, leather seats and included a dining car.

I got into Vienna by 2030 and inquired about catching the 2212 train to Prague.  Since this was a sleeper, I needed to make a reservation (which closes four hours before the train). The information desk recommended that I just show up and see if I can find a free seat.


Views of Vienna -- a beautiful, modern and very clean city

I hung out at the Wombat Hostel -- a very clean, hospitable and vibrant place of rest

One more thing I tried was to walk next door to see if I could get a room at the Wombat Hostel -- unfortunately, they were fully booked.  So I managed to get dinner while checking my email with the complementary WiFi.  

Then I walked over to board my train.  Since I did not have a reservation, the conductor informed me that she would charge me an additional 25 Euros during the trip.  I agreed and boarded the train. 25 Euros seemed too high, but it seemed worth it to press on towards Prague.

The train, though tight, was fairly comfortable.  The couches pulled down, and if you were lucky not to have someone sitting across from you, which I was, I was able to lay my feet up and catch a snooze.

The train stopped a few times, and I met several people on the way.  Amazingly, the train arrived in Prague by 0400.  Thankfully, my couch mate woke me up, otherwise, I would have slept right through and rode to Dresden.  

The train station (Holosevic) was several metro stops from the main train station.  When we arrived there, it was way too early, so I managed to catch some ZZZs on a wood bench.   I was ok, until I decided to stretch out, in which case the metro security would wake me up and inform me that sleeping was not allowed.  When daybreak arrived, I found my way outside the station and was happy to see a shady, grass hill where many backpackers were taking a nap.  So I was happy to incline and resume my cat nap under a large, balmy oak tree while the sun peeked through the dancing leaves, its golden rays warming my weary face.


Scenes from the main train station in Prague (Note trains from Prague and Berlin do not stop here).  Below you can see where I took a nap after a long, exhausting ride on the train.


After waking, I decided to head back inside the central station.  I found a friendly tourist information desk. After asking if they were aware of any hostels that provided free WiFi, they recommended the Prague Plus Hostel near the Holosevic station -- exactly the train station that I arrived in at 0400 this morning.

I was happy to incline, and am currently enjoying a nice Czech dinner (roast pork with tomato sauce) while I type this blog.  I am extremely weary and looking forward to tomorrow to explore the Golden City




No comments:

Post a Comment

Running in Budapest (8 August)

The Lake Zurich Swim

Operation Welcome Home