Runin DC

Thursday, August 6, 2009

My First Hostel Experience


I'm staying in a nice and cozy hostel called Corvin Point.  It is located in a nondescript building two blocks from the River and several blocks from the city core. 

The walk from the Keleti train station took only 20 minutes.  All the buildings seemed old and drab.  I could see the look on people's faces -- resolute and persistent.

When I first approached, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  John (who I met in the train from Istanbul) and I were hesitant.  The building seemed drab and unconvincing.

On the way, we saw a very old, ornate building with a green dome and statues adorned, traces of history and culture and vestiges of the Red Army throughout the city.

When we walked in.  The building itself has some character.  Inside the building, the courtyard is riddled with bullet holes.  Apparently, a massive conflict took place here during the Hungarian Revolution in the mid 1950s against the Communists.

For the very first time, I started to feel like we were taken back in time, amidst the Communist Revolution.

What a perfect momento for the troublesome days.  The scarred buildings in Pest remind us of the trouble and conflict that the Hungarian people experienced.

Corvin Point is an outstanding hostel.  Everything looked new and clean.  The bathrooms were plenty and immaculate and the room (eight-person bunkroom) was roomy and comfortable.  

The staff (Zoltan and Flora) were extremely friendly and took the time to explain directions and historical landmarks that we should visit.

The breakfast was very tasty and substantive. Loved the mix grain cereal, the hot, filling sandwiches and the cool, peach ice tea.

Also, it was very nice to meet new friends who we could go out in town with or to swap stories or get recommendations for places to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running in Budapest (8 August)

The Lake Zurich Swim

Operation Welcome Home