Runin DC

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Images from Istanbul After Midnight -- Where East Meets West

The Hagia Sophia (located near the Blue Mosque),  the sheer apex of Byzantine architecture built in 537, is one of the most remarkable landmarks in Istanbul.  

Destination: The Old Empire

My flight from Heathrow to Istanbul on Turkish Air was quite enjoyable.  The DC-10 was very roomy, and the flight attendant was extremely hospitable especially when the Turkish beer exploded on my lap after opening it.  The food, also was quite tasty and warm.

There was only one thing, I wished the flight attendant had done once we arrived in Istanbul -- announce the local time.  Perhaps they did, but not in English (If you stay with me, you will see why this was critical, later).

The spectacular city of Istanbul spans several diverse eras, with virtually all of the original architecture, still intact.  

Istanbul has been an important and unique city and the capital of three empires: the Byzantine, the Eastern Roman and the Ottoman. The influence of each of these civilizations is very apparent everywhere you turn in this romantic and charming city.

Istanbul is the epitome of Islamic Capitalism.  Everyone seems to be working hard, in a whirlwind of fast-pace activity -- they are extremely welcoming and cordial to foreigners and tourists, and I welcomed the attention and good conversation.

Contrary to what I had expected before, Istanbul is eminently cultural.  Located on both sides of the Bosphorus, the city of style bridges Asia and Europe both physically and culturally.


There are over 13 million people in Istanbul.  

"The Million"  -- this is all that remains from this monument from the Ottoman Empire.  It has been known for centuries as the "Crossroads of the World."


Delicious Turkish deserts


I had to stop to satiate my appetite.

Istanbul is a wonderful town of over 13 million people.  I didn't make it to my hotel in the old city of Sultanahmet until close to midnight.  But I decided to go for a late night run anyway.   This run lasted well over three hours, not to mention, that I managed to get lost on the way home.  Also running from Sirkeci to Sultanahmet was all uphill for nearly a mile.

 I met a lot of interesting people, mostly vendors and there was a lot of good conversation.

This talented carpet shopkeeper was trying to sell me his favorite silk rug by first trying to make it fly.  He showed me how the rug would change colors once it was up in the air.


It was a common site all over Istanbul to see men playing backgammon.


Late night vendors selling grilled swordfish kebabs.  I was surprised how many vendors were out working past midnight on the Golden Horn waterfront by the Yeni Galata Bridge.

Everyone, from vendors, to restauranteurs to fishermen were very friendly and happy to see foreigners and to give me directions.


Sultan Ahmet Mosque -- I heard this at 5:00 AM while I was still typing this blog.

Hotel Historia, is small stylish hotel in the old city located near the Cosmopolitan Park.  My bedroom on the 6th floor had a nice balcony with a wonderful view of the Marmara Sea.


Enjoying a relaxing nargile (water pipe) after a long and challenging run.  The one I tried tasted  like strawberry which hit a sweet spot for me.  Many people refer to the nargile as a Hookah

The Hookah operates by direct filtration and indirect heat -- it is used for smoking herbal fruits and tobacco. A very friendly Turkish waiter named Naeem was gracious to share his nargile with me and I was happy to oblige.

So Istanbul is a stunningly beautiful and unique city with Ottoman sultans filled with history of the Roman Empire, beautiful galleries and museums, friendly people, lively streets, modern amenities, and a bustling tourism industry that continues to surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running in Budapest (8 August)

The Lake Zurich Swim

Operation Welcome Home